Thursday, January 8, 2009

We made 100% whole wheat bread for FHE!

We got a wheat grinder from my parents and Gilbert couldn't wait to put it to use. He got out a can of our wheat from our food storage and got to work. I wasn't too excited to do it right then but he thought it would be a great family home evening. He pretty much did everything himself until it came to the cinnamon rolls. 
The beautiful dough.
I had to teach Gilbert how to get all the bubbles out, and make it pretty. 

When I was rolling out the dough for the cinnamon rolls Gilbert asked me if I wanted some help. I told him I needed it a 1/2 inch thick and he started throwing it all over. It was fun to watch some skills I had not seen before and he made it perfectly even to a 1/2 inch thick. I was impressed.

I know they don't look like much, but they were so yummy!
Our bread didn't turn out too bad either. It had really good flavor, but it was a little on the heavier side. The inside wasn't heavy at all, it was just the crust. Since it was our first time using the mill I don't think it was worn down enough to give us some really fine flour. All in all Gilbert did an awesome job making bread for the first time. 

7 comments:

Melissa O said...

So I am going to comment on this post for all your recent blogging. First so fun with the trip to Idaho, Christmas, and New years. I had so much fun kissing that yummy Andrew.
Second: your hair.....FABULOUS!!! Love it. Melinda did a fantastic job.
Third: I love the cinnamon rolls and bread. You guys are amazing.

Don't think that when baby number 5 comes that I won't have you help. HELLO.... you offered now I will totally use you. To the point of you thinking, back off Melissa I can't do anymore for you.:)

Katie L. said...

I love it! Mat has always said that your mom's bread is the best. Was it the same? I love your hair!

Megan said...

YUM!!Your post is making me hungry..Go figure:) Looks good, and I love your hair it is so cute.

Melinda said...

Wow, you and Gilbert are amazing that is so cute that you are doing it together. Oh and your hair looks great.

Aaron + Kayti said...

i am a huge fan of the bread making . . . you gotta teach me the cinnamon roll part, me loves.

emily said...

That is awesome. I have a whole bunch of wheat I should give you. I probably will never grind wheat even if I have a grinder. I'm a white flour girl. My sister has this recipe that is for like 1/2 wheat 1/2 white & she swears by it.

Brooke said...

Very impressive I must say! You'll have to mentor me once you have the art of bread making mastered! I want a wheat grinder sometime, too. Look at you little domestic girl. :) And Gilbert is pretty tricky throwing dough in the air! Guess he will have to make us some pizza now huh? :)